Last updated: 23/05/2018
The Policy will continue to apply even if you end your agreement with us, to continue to protect your data.
This Policy should be read with your contract Terms and Conditions, which includes specific information about the use and disclosure of your information.
Our primary reason for the collection of personal data will be for contractual purposes, to enable us to provide your service to you and to keep you informed about any operational or maintenance information specific to your product or service with us.
We will also let you know about additional products or services available from us, that we believe are of legitimate interest to you and your business. If you don’t want to hear about additional products and services, you can ‘opt-out’ by e-mailing us at email@example.com with the subject line Opt-Out.
The data controller is Retail Merchant Services Limited of Matrix House, North Fourth Street, Milton Keynes, MK9 1NJ.
1.The types of personal information we collect
Information that you provide to us
When you fill in an application form for one of our products or services, complete a form on our website or when you contact us by phone or e-mail, you are providing us with your personal information. The extent of information that you provide to us will depend on the reason that you’re providing it to us, but could include the following:
- Personal details such as your name, date of birth, business name;
- Contact details such as your address, business address, email address and telephone number;
- Information concerning your identity, such as photo identification, passport information, driving licence, utility bills and nationality.
- Information about your business such as VAT number, registered company number and your position within the business
- Financial data, such as bank account details.
Information that we collect about you
We collect information on your products and services with us and your interaction with us through our website, social media channels and Customer Service teams.
- Products and services that you have with us are recorded with your account and include hardware models or software versions, account identification numbers, transaction records, payment records, length of contract and associated financial terms of those contracts
- Information we use to identify and authenticate you such as your Merchant Identification Number or customer account number
- Records of correspondence between you and us such as letters, emails, call recordings, live chat, social media communications.
- Marketing and Sales information to record your preferences
2. How we use your personal information
We will only use your personal information where you have clearly given us permission to do so, or if there is another lawful reason for using it. The reasons include the following:
- To allow us to fulfil a service under an agreed contract
- To comply with our legal obligations
- To pursue our legitimate interests
- To establish, exercise or defend our legal rights
The reasons that we will use your information include:
- To deliver products and services
- For payment processing
- To notify you of any changes to products or services
- To manage our relationship with you, which will include telling you about products and services that we think will be relevant and of interest to you (unless you ask us not to)
- To understand how you use your products and services
- To ensure security and business continuity for you
- To implement product and service improvements
- To carry out data analytics so that we can better understand your circumstances and preferences to provide you with the best advice for your business
- To improve our website and ensure that content is presented in the most effective way and to keep it safe and secure
- To correspond with any third-party intermediaries and suppliers
- To recover money from you which you owe (if your account is in arrears or products haven’t been returned, as determined by the contractual agreement)
Marketing: We’ll use your information to provide you with details of products and services under the lawful basis of legitimate interest. We would only want to share with you the things that we believe would be of genuine interest to you and your business. These may include products or services supplied by third parties. We will always make sure that we get your consent and capture your preferred method of contact. If you change your mind and want to stop receiving marketing content from us, you can contact us to Opt-Out.
3. Who we might share your data with and why
To enable us to provide you with a variety of products and services, we collaborate and hold business relationships with various third-party partners and suppliers. To fulfil these agreements, we may need to share your data for the processing of the agreement. We will only ever share your data in relation to these types of agreements based on your request for a product or service and with prior agreement and consent.
The partners we work with are detailed below:
- Global Payments
- Funding Options
- Make It Cheaper
4. The lawful basis for using your personal information
There are different lawful bases that we rely on to use your personal information:
Contractual: The personal data that we hold about you is required for the purposes of delivering the contractual agreement that we have with you. For example, processing payments, delivering your service and updating you on any changes to the agreement.
Legitimate interests: We may use your personal information for legitimate interests, for example to improve our products and services or to notify you about relevant products and services that we genuinely believe to be of interest to you and your business. Where we believe it is appropriate, we will provide an opt-out option so that you can maintain control over how we use your information.
5. Where we store your personal information
Any personal data that you give us is stored on our cloud based servers. Data used for processing payments is stored on internal servers on a secure closed network.
6. How long we’ll keep your information
We will keep your data in line with our data retention policy:
Any personal identification (ID) required for application purposes will be destroyed after 30 days of the application being processed
Any account and transactional information associated with products and services will be kept for 7 years from the time your agreement has ended with us. This is for legal and regulatory requirements relating to financial data. We also may need the information for our legitimate purposes to deal with any disputes or concerns that may arise with your account.
7. Your rights
To ensure that you have control over the information that we hold about you, there are a number of rights that you have:
- You have the right to request access to the personal data that we hold about you and understand how we process it.
- In some circumstances you have the right to withdraw your consent to us processing your information, however if we have other legitimate reasons to process your data, such as contractual reasons, we may continue to use your personal data.
- You have the right to request your data be supplied to you in a commonly used and machine-readable format.
- You may ask us to update your information if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete.
- You have the right to ask us to delete your information. We will keep required data in line with our data retention policy as we may be entitled to or required to.
For any requests related to your rights noted above, please send an email to the Data Protection Officer at Privacy@retailmerchantservices.co.uk